Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Novel Nomenclature

Completed my Novel Nomenclature book! I was thinking a lot about how my strange compulsion to steal flowers around my neighborhood seemed to be somehow loaded with symbolism. Such as, stealing something or someone for yourself and taking life and power because of greed. I'd had the name "Novel Nomenclature" in my head for a while because of a friend, Corey, who suggested it after I started doing quick line drawings of plants, with my friends and I collaborating on fun names to write beside them instead of the usual scientific labeling. It came together in what appears to me to be a somewhat feminist message, but I feel like it's got more to do with my general impression of life as a female than woman's rights, however. The double edged sword of being a prude/slut, or a goody-two-shoes/out-of-control. I feel like many names are tossed around in a black and white way making life for women this awkward catch-22. Either way you get a label, right?

But if you want it can just be nice drawings of flowers. :]

In order: Clingy Karol, Martha the Deflowered, Fay's Frayed Edges, Solitary Sandra, Goody-Two-Shoes Gladys and Grace, Late Bloomer Lauren, The Ever-Bountiful Beatrice, Torn in Half Teagan, Stand-offish Selma, Used-Up No-Good Aged Dried-Out Daniella, Pamela Who Fell Apart, Two-Faced Tara, Sheltered Shay and Her Sisters.
Photobucket

           
Being a woman, 
means playing the delicate flower
means accepting certain ironies
means living by a double-edged sword
means waiting to be plucked
means representing what someone else wants
means wandering through life on eggshells of their creation
her pursuits are misconstrued as novel
the nomenclature assigned to her is trivial to you
but, her body does not, should not, and will not, dictate her life.

4 comments:

  1. I love this! Your drawings are really beautiful, and I like it even more knowing your intent, which I think is clear through the way you handled them. Though, I'm going to feel infinitely worse gathering flowers and pretty things now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, I'm sorry to ruin your flower stealing fun. If it makes you feel any better I haven't stopped. I've even got a mason jar exclusively used for "flower stealing" around bolton hill.

    And thanks! Currently working on the container thing for it, will post it by the weekend, probably.

    ReplyDelete